Sunday, October 5, 2014

Checking with with Big Brother Rex

Every year during during the 31 for 21 Challenge I like to check in with Rex. His thoughts on Down syndrome are interesting and its always fun to see how his mind works. Rex isn't always the chattiest of boys so its a good excuse to ask a lot of questions.   These discussions always make me laugh.  

What is Down syndrome? In my words I'd have to say it is a disability where people don't learn as fast as others but they can learn everything it just takes more effort for them.  

What do you think about having a brother with Down syndrome? It can be fun because you can help them learn new things like wrestling to help him build his strength.   But you can't do all the stuff you might do if your brother didn't have Down syndrome. 

What is the best thing about having Riley for a brother? His sense of humor.  He can always make you laugh and smile no matter how you are feeling inside.  

What is the worst thing about having Riley for a brother? I wish we could play catch together or play video together.  When he gets older I'll teach him to throw a spiral.  

What would you do if someone made fun of Riley for having Down syndrome?  I'd tell them it is not cool to pick on someone that is different than you.  

Have you ever heard someone pick on Riley? Nope,  they all think he's cute.  

Do you like that everyone thinks he is cute?  Most of the time I don't care but other times it is weird to have all the 6th girls as me about Riley and tell me how cute he is.  They tell me he's like an angel when really he's not.  

If someone did pick on Riley how would that make you feel? Sad and mad.  One its not nice.  And two it isn't ok to pick on someone you think is lesser than you or different than you.  

What would you tell a friend that was worried about having a brother with Down syndrome?  I'd tell them not to worry because its not all bad having a sibling with Down syndrome.  One it gives them a better personality and better humor.  They can do more than people think they can do.  

What do you thing about having having friends like Hunter that have a sibiling with Down syndrome? Its cool to have friends with Down syndrome.  You can connect about how crazy and funny and rotten and kind your sibling is.  

What do you think of Riley's new school?  Well its not very educational if he hasn't had any homework yet this school year.  

I love this boy.  He is hysterically funny and makes us laugh daily.   Riley couldn't have a better big brother!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from those that stop by. If you don't have a blogger account just choose Anonymous - but don't forget to leave your name in the text of your comment.