Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 9 31 for 21 2013


As you know October is Down syndrome awareness month and I have signed up for the 31 for 21 challenge and will be attempting to post everyday this month in honor of Riley.  This is more challenging than you'd think. I have to remind mtself it's only 31 days. Riley doesn't get to turn in his chromosome at the end of the month so I can tough it out too. 

 This blog started as a way for me to share about Riley and all the craziness that my life has been.  It was a stress reliever and a way to meet other families that are traveling similar journeys.  In the last year much has changed but I still find my self wanting to blog and share our day to day journey.  I have found so many blogs that I enjoy reading but those that I find myself going back to daily are those that show real life in an honest and open way.  That is my desire as well.  To show anyone that wants to know, that having a child with Ds is at times a bumpy road.  Sometimes it is hard and scary and other days it is beyond wonderful.......in other words we are a lot like other families bouncing along life's road. 


Approximatley 1 in 800 live births a child with Down syndrome is born! 

And did you know that approximatley 90% of parents who receive a prenatal diagnosis of a child with Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancy? 


These stats play over and over in my mind, but especially during October when I slow down a focus more on the fact that Riley has Down syndrome. When I think about the fact that 90% of people that find out prenatally that will have a child with Ds will terminate it makes me crazy.   That is the part of my brain that makes me want to steal the schedules of all the OB's doing  amino's  and plant myself in the waiting room with Riley showing everyone how wonderful he is.  Ya, I know I'm a bit twisted but thats just how my brain works. 

My point to all of this is that hopefully just one person reading this decides to carry a child to term intead of ending the pregnancy because they are scared then all of this will be worth it and more. 



I don't know how anyone could look in those eyes and find a life not worth living. That silly chromosome has given Riley some extra obstacles but he works his way over each and every one if them.   Ok getting off soap box now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from those that stop by. If you don't have a blogger account just choose Anonymous - but don't forget to leave your name in the text of your comment.