Thursday, October 1, 2009

Down syndrome Awareness Month






Get It Down; 31 for 21

Ready or not October is here.  October is Down syndrome awareness month and I have signed up for the 31 for 21 challenge and will be attempting to post everyday this month in honor of Riley.  I've been trying to think up something very clever as a theme to carry out the entire month and well........I'm still working on that.  While doing all that thinking I have also been pondering what this blog has ment to me and why I contintue to do it.  It all started as a way for me to share about Riley and all the craziness that my life has been.  It was a stress reliever and a way to meet other families that are traveling similar journeys.  In the last year much has changed but I still find my self wanting to blog and share our day to day journey.  I have found so many blogs that I enjoy reading but those that I find myself going back to daily are those that show real life in an honest and open way.  That is my desire as well.  To show anyone that wants to know, that having a child with Ds is at times a bumpy road.  Sometimes it is hard and scary and other days it is beyond wonderful.......in other words we are a lot like other families bouncing along life's road. 

Approximatley 1 in 800 live births a child with Down syndrome is born? And did you know that approximatley 90% of parents who receive a prenatal diagnosis of a child with Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancy? 


These stats play over and over in my mind, but especially lately.  Our family recently went to a bbq and met several new families.    I left this bbq feeling like I had been grilled about all things Ds.   While I love to talk about Riley and often do so even when people don't want to know,  I left that evening thinking "wow I'd love to meet new people and not feel like we were a circus show".  Though when you sit and think about the fact that 90% of people that find out prenatally that will have a child with Ds will terminate it makes me crazy.   That is the part of my brain that makes me want to steal the schedules of all the OB's doing  amino's  and plant myself in the waiting room with Riley showing everyone how wonderful he is.  Ya, I know I'm a bit twisted but thats just how my brain works. 

My point to all of this is that hopefully just one person reading this decides to carry a child to term intead of ending the pregnancy because they are scared then all of this will be worth it and more. 





10 comments:

  1. Your post gave me chills. I love your blog just the way it is. And I will plant myself in those OB offices right there with you!! (For those who would terminate for Cri du Chat too! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, he is so handsome.

    I share your belief and heartache over the choices people make to terminate their baby for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful for your blog. I too keep coming back to read blogs of mom's that I can relate to. I appreciate your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley is so cute! I love the pictures of him.

    I cannot believe how many people choose to terminate their pregnancies when they find out their baby his T21. Yet, at the same time I can understand how scared they are. I wish everyone knew what a blessing our children are to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story. Life with a child who has Down syndrome is the best.

    6 months after Josh was born with Down syndrome, I attended my first parent group. I was touched by the struggle people were having with “why?” I went to bed with a heavy heart and awoke with this story. I hope you enjoy it.

    http://tinyurl.com/secretjourney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! 90 percent?! That absolutely breaks my heart. I could not terminate a pregnancy no matter what. I don't even think I could if it might harm me. And your son is an angel. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That statistic is shocking! I am just beginning to get to know Riley and I cannot imagine a mass without his giggle and class without his mamy! I heart Riley! And the rest of you Kibbes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That statistic is shocking. I imagine a lot of people choose to terminate b/c they lack a basic faith in themselves...I've heard it said before, "I KNOW I couldn't handle raising a child with a disability." How do any of us KNOW what we're capable of until we try? How do any of us KNOW what kind of a parent we'll be to any child? The answer is, we don't. We just have to believe we can and we will, no matter what. Nobody ever said life was easy. The statistic I want to know is how many parents regret that decision?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from those that stop by. If you don't have a blogger account just choose Anonymous - but don't forget to leave your name in the text of your comment.