Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Riley William

My Dear little Riley, 
In the crazy that took over our day I almost forgot to write your birthday blog.  3 years ago and about an hour (7:07 pm)  you arrived into our family and took over our hearts.  It amazes me daily how much you have changed not only our family but everyone we know and meet.  You have such an beautiful soul that shines when you smile.  I love that you smile with your whole body.  There is no guessing what you are feeling. 

You have changed and grown so much this last year.  On your 2nd birthday you were barely walking and now you run.  You have no fear when it comes to keeping up with your big brother.  You are so lucky to have such a wonderful big brother.  You and Rex are such good friends.  I love to watch you play and see how much fun you have together.  The bond you boys share is amazing and strong and has been since the moment you arrived in this world.   Rex insisted we have a cake to celebrate the day you arrived home from the hospital and again today even though we've already had your party he insisted we celebrate you again with cake and singing.  You LOVE it when we sing Happy Birthday to you.  I wish everyone enjoyed their birthday as much as you do. 

You started big boy preschool today at Sheridan Elementary.  While I was overwhelmed by the new and busy room when we arrived you took in all in stride. You were so excited to meet new friends and play and I was busy trying not to cry.  Yet again you are trying to teach me to relax and enjoy the moment.  I'm trying baby I promise.  Mommy is trying to learn the lessons you teach! 

When I sit back and really think about that evening 3 years ago when you arrived I am overwhelmed with joy and sadness.  I am so completely in love with you it makes me sad that I ever doubted you, that I ever worried about how you would arrive.  If you would be healthy or not or if that would even matter.  If only I knew then what I know and understand now.  I certainly wouldn't have wasted a second worring about you.  It doesn't matter if you have a single crease on your hand or almond shaped eyes.  In the beginning they wanted to tell your dad and I about all the things that would be wrong or different.  They pointed out all the things most children with Down syndrome have or how you might look.  I think I shoved the polaroid picture the nurse gave me in every single person's face that first day.  Even the cleaning lady at the hosptial knew how beautiful my baby boy was.    Those first few weeks in the hospital you turned me into a germophobe and a bit nerotic.  Well, the truth be told I've always been a bit of a nut case.  Every day you work to teach us patience.  Maybe someday we will really learn the lesson. 

As we celebrate your third birthday  I am excited to see what the future will bring for you.  How you will grow and change this next year.  I love you my little Riley Roo.



Since today is actually Ri's birthday we had cupcakes at Rex's request.  Not sure why so many shirtless pics as of late but tonights excuse is that we had spaghetti for dinner. 




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me sob Mary!!!

    Happy Birthday Ri Guy!! We love you so very much. You totally make my day everytime I see you and when you yell "C" for Kacey you melt my heart! I feel so very honored that you are a part of our lives, and am greatfull that Ella has you to grow up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so not fair, I just read this at work and was trying not to cry in front of everyone! :-) I love the cheesy grin with the cupcake-he is so cute! I am glad Evan and him have had the chance to become friends! Evan sure loves both your boys. Happy Birthday Ri!

    Love~Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Your love for Riley is so evident and amazing. Happy Birthday Riley!

    I can relate so much to what you said about if you only knew then what you know now. It's so true. I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time worrying about having a child with Ds. If only I would have known how amazing Joel would be and how much he would change our lives for the better. I really can't imagine our lives without him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to Riley! This was very heart warming to read and I'm glad I stopped by! "Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from those that stop by. If you don't have a blogger account just choose Anonymous - but don't forget to leave your name in the text of your comment.