Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Biotech Companies Developing Blood Tests for Down Syndrome 31 for 21 Day 12


Riley says "don't be scared"





A blogger friend of mine shared this yesterday on facebook and it totally disturbed me.  I have to agree that I think every person has the right to make choices about their own life.  Everyone will be guided by their own sense of right and wrong and their own religious beliefs. 

That said it makes me incredibly sad that by making this test a simple blood test so many more babies with Down syndrome will be lost before they ever took a breath.  I realize that the unknown is scary and to most of us having a child with Down syndrome throws us head first in to the unknown.  I was scared senseless when we learned of Riley's diagnosis.  I am very thankful that we had the time to process and learn about Down syndrome.  I would have hated to have to deal with the stress of a newborn in the NICU and try to process and learn about Down syndrome all at the same time. 

I can't imagine our world without Riley and all of the people that have become a part of life due to that extra chromosome. 

If  I arrive and need a little extra help to get started..






I promise I'll turn out to be a real treat!


My friends and I will keep you smiling!

5 comments:

  1. I completely love the 3rd pic down. His facial expression is excellent!

    Just a blood test, huh? Wow...I wonder what this will do to those already shocking statistics you brought us back to the other day? Going back to my comment I made on that post, how does anybody truly know the kind of parent they'll be to any child? I can just barely imagine the fears one would face when receiving this news - but I think of my sister-in-law who prayed the doctors had been mistaken when their baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 in utero - they would have gladly taken 3 more chromosomes if it meant their baby would survive. You just never know what you're capable of until you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad sad sad. I agree everyone has the right to decide...BUT we all know what this test means. It's so sad to think about all the other little babies that are SUPPOSED to be just like ours but aren't given the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,everyone has a right to decide...
    I am glad Riley has such a great mother, he is so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poem with pics at the end. I wrote another comment but I fear it's too controversial so I deleted it. You know I wouldn't trade my Olivia for anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lurking - you are a great mom - a bit neurotic, but a good mom!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from those that stop by. If you don't have a blogger account just choose Anonymous - but don't forget to leave your name in the text of your comment.